Philistinism-Lite

I'm a Dissertation Newbie

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Sustenance for Research


The food in Germany is not the best in Europe; certainly France and Italy have claimed expertise in that area. However, I've enjoyed the ability to buy really good fresh bread and cheeses as well as get some good deals on European wine. However, two staples of my diet are hugely challenged over here: salsa and peanut butter. You can purchase both items pretty easily at most grocery stores. But unless you enjoy salsa that tastes like ketchup or peanut butter with a powdery chalk taste, they are best avoided.

Well, fortunate for me, I have the best fiancée in the world! She traveled thousands of miles to visit me for a week and brought several pounds of peanut butter and salsa in Sam's Club quantities. My pantry is now balanced again. There is nothing better for complimenting fresh bread than chunky peanut butter. And Bavarian cuisine can always be spiced up with salsa that actually has a kick.

The major dilemma now is trying to figure out how to ration out portions so that they will survive until I can refill my supply. I actually think I'm tempted to consume them more than I would in the States because I know how privileged I am to have them. It certainly gives me major bragging rights to the ex-pats in Munich.

Now that I am no longer distracted by this deficiency in my diet, I can get back to work.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:42 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    When my college roommate and I went to Paris in 2002 and stayed at the apartment of her aunt's friend's friend, this friend (an American) asked us to bring him several things from the States. At the top of his list was Jiff peanut butter.

    The salsa in Europe is AWFUL.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home