Philistinism-Lite

I'm a Dissertation Newbie

Friday, November 11, 2005

Schenker is a Bad Influence on our Youth


This weekend members of the CCM-based “Stufen-gang” have fled to Boston for the annual Society for Music Theory meeting. I sat through a Schenkerian analysis class about two years ago and found the theoretical approach compelling. Sketching Ursätze on the sofa with Letterman in the background is my idea of an exhilarating evening. It makes for satisfying self-occupation, the same type one might get from crossword puzzles or anagrams. But what really turns me off is reading or listening about graphs someone else has fashioned. The only prolongation I sense is that of my own agony.

It confuses me that Schenker seems to spark social energy. In case college students could not find any other reason to get together, we have the “Stufen-gang.” The “everybody’s doing it” phrase takes on new meaning when an activity of personal indulgence and academic pretense becomes a mediator for youth culture. I hear T-shirts and letter jackets are on the way. I knew there was a reason I had joined.

1 Comments:

  • At 2:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Though I accept the musical phenomena found in Schenker's theory, I cannot help but remain a skeptic. It seems theorists "pick and choose" moments within the music in order to "prove" Schenker's 5-4-3-2-1 over 1-5-1 theory correct. I say "pick and choose" because some theorists appropriate pitch events into the theoretical framework when these events are not so eventful, or structurally or formally important. This is why Schenker's Formenlehre never materialized to fruition. Also it seems like such a fad, at least here at CCM, to be a Schenker follower. My God, it is as if he is treated as some kind of deity, or even worse a frat brother. The frequency his name is uttered by theory professors and students makes me nervous he is the only theorists being taught in the program, leading to quite a myopic view to music theory. Are we guilty of the same in Musicology? I don't think so; save one person who seems to idolize Richard Taruskin. But in general we recognize the broad scope and approach to our discipline and do not focus so much on one individual or approach. If Schenkerian analysis is a fad, when will it end and who will replace him as the new fad?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home