Philistinism-Lite

I'm a Dissertation Newbie

Friday, June 17, 2005

Levine conducts Berlioz, eats chili


Concluding this spring's May Festival, NY-MET conductor, James Levine, headed the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra and May Festival Chorus in Berlioz's Requiem. With his iconic fro, the former May Festival director returned to a large, welcoming crowd. Since his appointment in New York, Levine has conducted over 70 operas in over a thousand performances. In addition to guest conducting all over the globe, Levine's jolly grin adorns covers of dozens of classical music recordings. This recent performance demonstrates his ability to comfortably conduct other large performing forces than those of opera.

Although my view was limited due to the support pillars of Music Hall's balconies, I was still able to observe the performance quite well. Before the concert, as I scoped out the audience seated with me in the first balcony, I nodded to my colleagues who were all positioned behind pillars themselves. Student-discount tickets in hand, we made for colorful stripes of youth behind each obstruction among the sea of white-haired bodies.

One of my former students was seated in front of me. As we exchanged a few quick jokes, she reported that Levine had been sighted earlier in the day in the Clifton Gaslight district, just north of the University of Cincinnati's campus. According to her, Levine made two ritual stops at Cincinnati favorites Graeter's ice-cream and Skyline Chili on Ludlow Ave. Although I too enjoy visiting my favorite spots when I return to my hometown (in NC), Levine managed to indulge in Cincy's most health-threatening and stamina-breaking treats.

The afternoon snacks certainly didn't boost the Maestro's energy for the concert. Although Levine is not as young as he used to be, and has reportedly started conducting from a chair, he failed to demonstrate the vibrant command of the ensemble. The slower tempos could certainly be of aesthetic preference, but the excitement of the antiphonal brass exchanges were not mirrored by the gestures of the conductor. Overall the performance was polished. The blend of the brasses, voices, and strings rung well in the hall. My only criticism of the performers is toward the wind family, where intonation and unity of color and articulation left much to be desired. Nevertheless, Levine received a 7 minute ovation after the concert and returned to the stage no fewer than 4 times to bow to the audience. This is an impressive reception, even for Cincinnatians who love to dish out "bravo" like it is going out of style.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home